One of our expedition participants, Dr Stephan Thaele, produced this amazing video along the way by working a little on it each day on his phone as the expedition unfolded. What a great source of memories!
Labour of love and quite a few years work: my mother Robynn and I have written a guide “by divers for divers” to the dive resorts of Mozambique. This was more of a challenge than anticipated, as the sociopolitical climate in Mozambique means that there is a continually shifting landscape when it comes to dive operators, and some significant regional differences. Although there are some very well established resorts and operators, many of the smaller, newer or more exclusive venues are unknown, and no-one could give an accurate estimate of the actual number.
The book has been thoroughly researched but is filled with actual impressions and practical reviews of the many resorts, and is worth acquiring simply for the hundreds of original photographs from a plethora of contributors.
It is available from September 2017 from various online vendors, and SA bookstores. Click here to go to the publisher’s site to purchase a copy.
More info at www.wildmedix.com or ping me in the comments!
I originally made this list to help my family keep track and contact me during the NWAC 2015 Conference at the Vancouver Convention Centre, but realised they may be useful for anyone visting the area and planning a run or two in Stanley Park (think Central Park, only muuuuuch cooler) or looking for some adventures in the British Columbia wilderness. Enjoy!
I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel while in Vancouver, which was fantastic and right across the road from the Convention Centre, albeit somewhat of a stretch for many budgets. Several good runs, some geocaching and a visit to the Vancouver Acquarium were well worth while. See:
For the three days/two nights from 26-28 April I did a backcountry hiking/skiing to the Elfin Lakes Hut in Garibaldi Provincial Park, near Squamish, due North of Vancouver:
- Garibaldi Provincial Park (British Columbia) official webpage
- Garibaldi Provincial Park PDF Map (poor detail)
- Garibaldi Park downloadable trail conditions report (latest version in PDF)
- Elfin Lakes route guide and info on Whistler Hiatus page (snowshoeing but good info)
- Elfin Lakes route description with GPS waypoints on ClubTread
- Elfin Lakes route description and skiing areas on BackCountrySkiingCanada.com
- Sea-to-Sky region avalanche risk status
- Online booking of trail and accommodation permits in Garibaldi Park
- Downloadable Garmin (GPX) file of Elfin Lakes Waypoints
- Black Tusk Snowmobile Club webcam (next ridge over, similar elevation)
Hopefully some more photos to follow here soon, otherwise check my Instagram feed!
NWAC 2015 is in New York…are we getting excited already?